Join us Thursday, November 1, for our next Facebook Live event
, which will feature Vaughan Gilmore
, LCSW, LCDC, pictured, director of Addictions Services
, and Gordon Meltzer
, CPRS, peer recovery specialist who is in recovery and survived a suicidal overdose attempt.
Christi Myers, former Houston TV health reporter, will host the discussion that will focus on today's drug scene and approaches to treatment.
Did You Know?
- Of Menninger’s patients, 65 percent have an addiction or substance use disorder in addition to their primary psychiatric diagnoses.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, cannabis use is associated with the development of schizophrenia and other psychoses.
- Heavy cannabis users are more likely to report thoughts of suicide than non-users.
- Long-term cannabis use can worsen symptoms of bipolar disorder.
- More than 72,000 Americans died in 2017 because of drug overdoses.
- Opioid abuse claims more lives than motor vehicle crashes.
- Fentanyl is up to 50 times more potent than heroin and 100 times more potent than morphine.
Addiction is a chronic treatable illness and treatment options can include medication (buprenorphine, methadone and naltrexone), behavioral therapies and/or psychosocial supports. Join our Facebook Live event to learn more.