A complete psychiatric and physical evaluation is the first step toward successful treatment in the Hope Program for Adults (Hope). This includes a frank discussion with the patient, family and referring clinician
about psychiatric, medical and psychosocial factors, along with results of our initial assessments.
With these results in hand, Hope’s team works with the patient to formulate a treatment plan that addresses core issues and struggles. Progress toward goals is reviewed weekly with the treatment team
and shared with the family and referring clinicians as appropriate.
The length of treatment at Hope depends on several factors, including severity of the patient’s symptoms and struggles, as well as progress toward goals. The average length of stay is six to eight weeks.
- Patients typically meet with the team twice weekly for psychiatry rounds. Rounds address core issues in treatment, discharge planning, milieu and peer issues, medications, treatment plans, lab results and medical issues.
- After obtaining consent from the patient, the social worker serves as the family's primary contact. With the patient's consent, once weekly family sessions are scheduled and facilitated by the social worker. These sessions take place in person if possible or by conference call.
- After initial assessments are completed, patients receive a daily therapeutic group schedule, including wellness and leisure activities.
- Nursing staff meets with patients three times per day (once each shift) to assess how patients are doing. Both registered nurses and mental health associates are available 24/7 to provide support and assistance.
- Typically, patients are assigned an individual therapist during the first or second week after admission and meet twice per week with the therapist.
- Patients with other types of psychiatric issues such as addictions or eating disorders are assigned additional treatment interventions as indicated.
- Spiritual support is also available.
Responsibility for One’s Recovery is Key
At Menninger, patients and staff function together as a community. This milieu-based treatment approach provides a supportive, therapeutic environment that fosters predictability and trust along with opportunities for learning and growth.
Patients take personal responsibility for their treatment, and they are involved in every phase, from planning to discharge. They progress through a level-of-responsibility system, which consists of five levels of opportunities and expectations, based on participation in the program and clinical progress.
Unstructured time is an important aspect of the care on Hope as it gives patients time to process and reflect on what they've learned during their stay.
Hope offers a comfortable yet secure environment. It features spacious, welcoming common areas
, as well as amenities to help the patient relax and interact with peers. Patients stay in spacious, comfortable semi-private rooms with their own bathrooms. We also offer private rooms for patients with physical or medical needs who may require it.
Laundry facilities are available as well as a nutrition area for snacks, drinks or other food items.
Visitors are welcome, especially family and close friends, are welcome during visiting hours. Phone calls and scheduled videoconferencing with family members are coordinated through the treatment team. Mail is delivered and picked up each weekday.
Amenities and Activities
On-campus amenities include a Café that serves Starbucks® coffee, trauma-sensitive yoga, covered walking paths, a peaceful meditation garden, a large labyrinth, a volleyball court and a saltwater pool. We also have an impressive Wellness Center complete with a full-size basketball court and top-of-the-line fitness equipment. A full-time certified fitness consultant is available to work with patients as well.
Hope offers routine outings to Rice Village
, where patients can enjoy fine dining, unique boutiques and spa appointments, as well as to local Target and Barnes and Noble stores. Other off-campus activities include bowling, movies, restaurants and visits to Houston's renowned Museum District
. These amenities and activities are available according to each individual’s schedule.